Better Than Flowers
“There might be some people in this world who do not need flowers, who cannot be surprised by joy, but I haven’t met them.” –Edith Wharton
Susan at The Spice Garden surprised me with joy yesterday by tapping me for the peer-driven Stylish Blogger Award. I particularly appreciate this virtual high-five because Susan herself writes a wonderful food blog, one which never fails to call up nostalgia for my New England roots.
Appreciation is best shared; it’s what makes the blogging community a community, after all. To this end, the Stylish Blogger is modeled on a chain-letter, with the following (optional) obligations:
1. Thank the person who recognized you. (Thanks, Susan!)
2. Share 7 things about yourself.
3. Recognize 15 other bloggers (or however many you like, if you don’t read that many blogs) whom you admire by passing the award along to them.
Seven Things About Me
- While I will always consider New England home, I also lived for a time in Russia, Texas, and Illinois before coming to Iowa.
- I am both a cat person and a dog person.
- I love my job as a book conservator and librarian at an academic library.
- I’ve been taking adult figure skating lessons for the past year, and am obsessed with the idea of building a backyard rink.
- I don’t own a TV.
- One of my best memories of growing up is fishing at dawn on summer weekends off the Massachusetts coast with my Dad.
- I really enjoy ordering the weirdest thing on the menu at restaurants, just for the sake of trying it.
Bloggers I Admire
To be honest, in spite of the fact that I love getting comments on my own blog, I am a bit of a lurker on many of the blogs that I read. This is a welcome nudge to recognize the blogs I enjoy reading regularly. In no particular order:
1. Geni, Sweet and Crumby: a food blog filled with luscious recipes and exuberant good cheer.
2. Lizz, The Outreach Librarian: a savvy and sassy blog about education, libraries, and community.
3. Rebecca, Sandwiches I Have Loved: the blog equivalent of a love poem to sandwiches, both restaurant and homemade.
4. Beth, Daily Devil: a photo blog full of visual humor and beauty.
5. Kaye, The Occasional Chef: in an entertaining twist on the usual food blog, this blogger attempts to wean her family (and herself) off processed foods.
6. Yvette, Yvette’s Twisted Vines: an Aussie transplant to Italy writes about food and family.
7. Emma & Kiyoshi, Muckin’ Around: two former academic-types go to farm school.
8. J, A Librarian’s Guide to Etiquette: brief, sardonic dispatches from the library.
9. Charlotte, Chic Cyclists: a quirky cycling blog promoting “elegant transportation.”
10. Amanda, Slow Like Honey: food and photography, both yummy.
11. Shae, Hitchhiking to Heaven: a blog about canning, prize-winning jams, and growing things.
12. Beth, Exploring With Beth: cooking and other fun adventures in the Bay Area.
13. Kirstin, Ivory Pomegranate: food, travel, photography, and the expat life in Kyrgyzstan.
14. Militza, Zikata’s Blog: a blog about bridging cultures, written by a Bulgarian attending college in Boston.
15. Rod, Red Bird Dog: a blog about raising Hungarian Vizslas, with lots of gorgeous photos. Warning: this blog will make you fall in love with the breed.